26 February, 2007

Esther



Casa Del Agatestone has never had a Purim celebration. But, this year, I've decided to commemorate the holiday, and to whit, I baked hamantaschen for the first time. These triangular cookies represent the three-sided hat that the evil Haman wore in the book of Esther.

Of course I put a spin on these cookies. I tried the traditional poppyseed filling, and sadly, didn't care for it. So, I prepared a fig filling traditionally used in Italian cuccidati cookies. I enjoyed these fig-filled hamantaschen greatly.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Did you save any of the cookies with poppyseed filling for your sister who doesn't like figs?

Agatestone said...

Breakfast Czar, those poppyseed cookies were GROSSSSSS. Even Giuseppe didn't like them. They are no more. Next time we are breakfasting, or lunching or even dinnering, I will buy you a cookie, deal?

Anonymous said...

i just tried your fig hamantaschen, and they are amazing! i want the recipe :) leave it to the sicilians to put a new twist on the tried and true!