14 February, 2007

smelly fish

It was a great day today. I hesitate saying that because I could potentially jinx myself and everything could go to pot. But, I am taking a chance.

The day started out early. 6:38 a.m. to be exact. I donned old jeans, an oversized sweatshirt, long parka, wool socks and my new boots that are rated to eleven below zero Fahrenheit and went outside to engage my favorite winter activity: shoveling the driveway at Casa Del Agatestone. It was quiet. Everything seemed hushed thanks to the blanket of snow that had been falling for about 18 hours straight. I could hear the hum of a snowblower in the distance, but near me, everything was still. It was a wonderful start to the day, being able to be outside in the calm, breathing in fresh air instead of the circulated air we’ve been forced to breathe all winter.

Now, of course, the day wasn’t all bunnies and rainbows. I did have one major misstep. After washing and drying my hair this morning, I stood in front of the mirror, mentally thinking about all the things I had to do today. I reached for my face cream, squeezed some out onto my hands, and proceeded to rub the face cream in my already done hair, as I would rub in hair gel. Why did I do this? I have no answer, but I had no time to wash my hair again, so to try to hide the grease of the face cream, I pulled my hair back in a ponytail. Yes, my hair is limp today and smells different than usual. I can’t wait to wash it tonight. The only explanation I have is that I was distracted, kind of like the time I came home from the grocery store and put the package of fresh fish in the pantry instead of the freezer. Or, the time I walked around looking for my eye glasses and they were already on my face. Or, the time I walked around looking for my car keys, when they were in my purse as usual. Or the time I purchased some ornamental grasses from the open air market in Detroit and then, a few weeks after planting them, I couldn’t figure out why there were clumps of grass in the garden and proceeded to yank them out! I could go on and on.

2 comments:

Willow said...

Hi, Agatestone,

I loved the story. I had funny thing happen at work the other day that would be along the same lines as putting face cream in your hair.

I was supposed to get a patient from another unit, and I called that unit to get report on the patient. I was then transferred to what I thought was another part of that unit so that I could get report.

The woman who answered the phone was the unit clerk. I explained who I was and why I was calling. In the back of my mind, I was thinking, "That unit clerk has the same name as the one that I work with has!"

Anyway, she said that I was calling the wrong unit. At that moment, as we sat, me at one end of the desk and the unit clerk on the other, we realized that we were talking to each other on the phone.

Somehow the person on the phone on the other unit had transferred me back to my own unit.

This probably isn't as funny in the telling as it was when it happened, but believe me, we had quite a laugh over it.

And I suppose the upside of putting face cream in your hair is that you won't have any acne in your hair. :-)

Agatestone said...

Funny story Willow.

I guess the most embarrassing out of all of these, for me, was digging up the ornamental grass!