15 February, 2007

Help Save Soviet Jewelry

So, every weekend as a child, we drove to my grandmother's place on the west side, in a predominately Jewish neighborhood. She lived very near a synagogue that for many years had a banner in place in the front of the building. We passed by it every weekend. I read it every weekend. I thought I understood it. I thought that the banner meant that we as Americans needed to band together to convince the Soviets to send over all of the abandoned jewelry that Russian immigrants were forced to leave behind when they emigrated to the US. It took me a long time, in fact, probably longer than it should have to read the banner as it really was written: "Help Save Soviet Jewry." A different sentiment altogether.

2 comments:

Willow said...

I had the same confusion. I think I was listening to NPR, and mis-heard the title of the story. Luckily the context cleared it up, but I couldn't help thinking "jewelry" every time I heard the phrase.

Not that I am making light of it, but it's interesting that we both had the same misconception.

Agatestone said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Willow.

What about you, Breakfast Czar? Do you remember the banner on the shul that we passed before Nana's apt? Did you understand what it meant on first glance?

Agatestone