12 February, 2007

Chanukia. Hanukiyah.

So, my latest dream. I'm in Ann Arbor with the Amnesiac Concert Flautist's sister and mother. We are shopping. What pray tell are we shopping for? High-end hot chocolate mix. The ACF's mother has found a store that sells expensive and very tasty cocoa. It's so high end, that they keep it in the back. It's only for special customers. So, we get to the store and the salesgirl ushers the ACF's sister and me to the back of the store to peruse the hot cocoa. We make our selections and as we are ready to pay for our purchases, we notice a basket filled with marked down menorahs. So, we look through the basket. All of the menorahs are broken. Most are missing one branch. I am bound and determined to buy a menorah, so we look at each one, trying to find one that is unbroken. The least of the damaged menorahs, one which only has a bent branch, a branch that is not sheared clean off, as in the case of the other menorahs, is unfortunately, an electric menorah. I have to buy the menorah even though I don't like it. Why don't I like it? Because, and this is something I don't think anyone knows, even the Breakfast Czar, but I have never liked electric menorahs. I always thought they were cheating. That they were for people who could not be bothered to light a candle. Yes, obviously, I am wrong. I am sure there are many fine people who prefer electric menorahs and of course I support their choice of Hanukkah illumination devices. But they are not for me.

I actually had one more dream after this one. It involved two cousins arguing over a math problem, while their father was tending to a pack of very large rabbits and allowing them to run loose in their house.

4 comments:

Willow said...

Hmm, not being Jewish, I really can't say much about the Menorah choice. But the safety freak in me can think of situations in which an electric Menorah would be a good choice: in front of a flammable curtain, for instance.

For some reason, I loved the idea of a very large pack of rabbits being herded through your house. Maybe because it brought to mind "The Princess Bride" and ROUS's (rodents of unusual size).

Willow, hoping Agatestone has seen The Princess Bride

Susan said...

Now, I did know that you don't like electric menorahs.

I am not fond of them; I think real candle light is much prettier. However, I must admit that I probably should get an electric one for myself. I can't see it being easy to light the candles when they are so close together.

And Willow, love the visuals :) The Princess Bride was a great movie even though no one got blown up and there were no car chases ;)

-Susan

Agatestone said...

S,

I don't remember ever talking to you about electric menoras. But, I guess we did. But, I'm trying to be open-minded and if you want to get an electric menorah, well, I will support your decision.

Agatestone

Agatestone said...

Oh, and Willow, I've seen the Princess Bride many, many, many times. I know all about ROUS!