11 February, 2007

Limes and brown rice

So, I was living the glamorous life of an advertising professional all week. When I say glamorous, I really mean long hours, hot tempers, lack of food and symptoms of scurvy. I literally ate bread sticks and bean dip for dinner three out of four nights last week. The fourth night, I ate old rice and soy sauce. For a change, on the fifth night, I ate hummus and bread sticks, which I guess, when you think about it, is just a fancy shmancy way of saying I ate bean dip and bread sticks on Friday as well. I didn’t even look at a piece of fruit or a vegetable all week. I had no time or energy to venture out to find some healthy food. So, this description gives you the common scenario of an advertising professional during the busy season.

Our story begins on Friday morning. I was tired, hungry, showing symptoms of scurvy and at the end of my rope. On my way to work, I decided to stop for some good coffee. I had three cents on me. There was no time all week to stop at the bank. The place where I wanted to purchase the cup of coffee, the cup of coffee that would soothe my nerves and bring a bit of comfort unto my life, only took charge cards for purchases over 5 bucks. So, I stopped at one ATM for cash; it was broken. I stopped at another ATM for cash; it too was broken. I needed this coffee. It was my quest. I was mulling about in my head the hairbrained idea of having the Breakfast Czar wire money to me in the next 15 minutes so that I could get my coffee.

Thankfully, when I got to the coffee place, I had another idea. I ordered a half-dozen bagels and my cup of coffee. No, I was not in the mood for bagels. I had been eating bread all week in the form of breadsticks. I had no desire to eat a bagel, let alone six bagels. But, I needed my total to reach 5 bucks. So, I ordered the first thing I could think of (a half-dozen bagels) to bring my total up so that I could receive the coffee that I so desperately needed. Sadly, the total for the six bagels and the coffee only came to 4 dollars and 65 cents. I had to think fast. I asked the woman for one more bagel. Yes, I went over 5 dollars and would now be allowed to use my charge.

But, what was I to do with seven bagels? Seven unwanted and unneeded bagels. I threw the bag of bagels in the back of my car and proceeded to work, savoring my cup of coffee.

I drove around for the next two days, occasionally remembering that I had seven bagels in the back of my car. Don’t worry. It’s 11 degrees here in my corner of the mitten. I checked periodically on the bagels and they were frozen solid.

This morning, I breakfasted with the Breakfast Czar. On our way back to her apartment, I offered her my bagels. I actually kept one bagel for myself, for the hour drive home, and gave her the other six. She seemed delighted. So, everything turned out for the best, and I even managed to buy an orange this weekend to ward off scurvy. I haven’t actually eaten the orange, but it’s on the counter and I have passed by it every once in a while this weekend. I’ll eventually eat it…maybe.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Ahhh. The true story of the mystery bagels comes out :)

I've actually eaten 3 of the bagels, and may eat a 4th one with dinner tonight.

Stay warm,

Susan

Agatestone said...

I told you I'd explain all. The bagels were heaven-sent because they allowed me to buy the coffee that soothed my ragged nerves. And in other news, I think my symptoms of scurvy have all but disappeared. I've been trying to eat a little better this week.