17 February, 2007

How can I tell if I have a concussion?

One would think those are rare words to come out of someone’s mouth, but my mother, father and sister are quite used to me posing this question of them, as I did with my mother this morning. OK. So, I’m clumsy. Very clumsy. Yes, maybe I should check with a medical professional, and I know three, when I think I have a concussion, need stitches, or am suffering from the plague, salmonella, etc., but, my three medical professional friends/cousin would find that answering my questions would be a full-time job. As I said, I am very, very clumsy.

Let’s go back to 5 a.m. this morning. I awoke, and without turning the light on, went to use the facilities. I returned to the warmth of my bed, wishing to resume my slumber, but before I could go back to sleep, I needed a drink of water.

I began to prop myself up on my elbow to reach for the glass of water that I knew I had left on my nightstand the night before. As I put my elbow down to prop myself up, I realized, in a split second, that I was laying too close to the edge, and my elbow came down on nothing, just air. I toppled out of bed and concluded my fall by ramming the side of my head and my ear into my nightstand. To make matters worse, when I felt my head to see if there was blood, my hair was indeed wet. “Oh brother,” I thought. “Now I have to go get stitches.”

But, thankfully, after I finally turned the light on, I realized the reason my hair was wet was that it had been flung into the cup of tea that I got up in the middle of the night to make. I didn’t find any blood, just a big knot on the side of my head. Oh, and the water glass that I was seeking wasn’t even on my nightstand; it was across the room.

Even though I had no intention of being awake at 5 in the morning, now I was scared to fall back asleep. I’m not sure what happens when you fall asleep while suffering from a concussion, but it’s probably not something I want to find out.

So, after inquiring of my mother (I consult with my father about open wounds, my sister about viral and orthopedic problems, and my mother handles the neurological questions) about whether she thought I had a concussion, she asked me a few questions and we determined that I am healthy. Although, I must admit that my brain was feeling a bit sloshy this morning. That feeling seems to have gone away though, and I feel as fit as a fiddle now.

1 comment:

Willow said...

OUCH! I am sorry to hear about your early-morning misadventure. I hope your head is feeling better.

I have asked myself the same "concussion" question at work (since I work in an ICU, I can get some pretty fast answers). Our hospital has these televisions that are attached to the wall and can be moved around for the patient's convenience, and so that medical personnel can move them away to do procedures, assessments, etc.

I have decided that there is no way that we can move the televisions far enough away from the bed to completely avoid injury. My head has come in contact with many a moveable television, and I have held back many a bad word while trying to pretend it doesn't hurt in front of the patient. "Oh, I'm okay, it's no big deal..." I say as the stars clear from my vision. :)