01 March, 2007

pseudo-intellectual or dilettante?

Just a helpful hint from Agatestone:

When you're in a conversation with someone who is way smarter than you, especially in the arts, and you're feeling ignorant, drop Claes Oldenburg on them. It works every time. He is famous enough that you can gain respectability by knowing who is is, but obscure enough that the person who you thought was smarter than you may actually have never heard of him. It's a win-win situation.

I've pulled Claes out of my pocket (figuratively) a couple of times. I've mentioned his prints. I've mentioned the large sculpture of his at the Detroit Institute of Arts: the carved wooden electrical plug hanging from the ceiling.

He has helped me get out of uncomfortable situations and restored balance to my life. Check him out. Learn about him. Use him, but use him sparingly.

No comments: