26 March, 2007

Karma Kameleon

So, my day started off innocently enough. Until lunchtime. I lied to a homeless person. I know, I know. I was just trying to get out of an awkward situation. But, I felt very guilty afterward.

Subsequently and deservingly, I got hit with the Karma stick. Back at work I poured myself a cup of coffee and tried to squirt some chocolate syrup in it. Unfortunately, the chocolate syrup bottle was clogged, and when I tried to forcibly squirt the chocolate out, instead of landing in my coffee, the syrup sprayed all over me and the coffee bar.

Ok. So, even thought I still felt guilty about the lie, I assumed I was absolved, due to the bad Karma I had just received. I was hoping that my life now had an equal balance of good and bad Karma. I was feeling more confident about my day. Until, something alarming happened. Someone innocently brought me a brownie. A freshly baked brownie. A freshly baked brownie baked by the wife of a Rabbi. I knew no good would come from this brownie. This Rabbinical spouse-baked brownie wasn’t your average brownie. It was chewy and warm and was most likely more holy than a run of the mill brownie since it was baked by a Rabbi's wife. The brownie, although delightful, would lead to despair. This I knew. And, finally, I was right.

It was the end of the day. I had plans in just a few minutes. Even thought I was covered in chocolate syrup, I had decided not to change my plans, as I was wearing dark colored clothes that masked the stains from the chocolate. No one would be able to tell. I walked to my car, carrying a cup of soy milk that I had brought to work earlier that day. I approached my car and all of a sudden, the soy milk leapt from the cup and splashed itself down my pants. So, now I was literally covered by all of the ingredients for a soy mocha latte. I gave up. I surrendered to the Karmic forces that were toying with me and I decided to forgo my plans, go home, and get out of my soiled outfit.

No comments: