25 January, 2007

mixed blessing

So, I have been knitting like crazy. A bit too crazy, as I have injured my wrist. I called my computer consultant, The Breakfast Czar, for a diagnosis. Yes, one would think that if one's wrist hurt, one would go to a doctor, but as a computer consultant, working in an office with computer consultants, I'm sure that TBC is quite familiar with wrist injuries. So, she diagnosed me with carpel tunnel and told me to stay off my wrist for a while. So, I've been reading like mad. I can't get enough. I don't know what's wrong with me. I read so much in my job as an editor, that I find it quite difficult to read for fun. I guess I'm over it that difficulty, thankfully.

So, here is what I'm reading:Yiddish Civilisation. The Rise and Fall of a Forgotten Nation. As I have been doing quite a bit of genealogy, I want to know what my ancestors' lives were like. I also just read The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon, which is like a Jewish Da Vinci Code. I wanted to learn more about Portuguese Jews. It was kind of Sherlock Holmes-y, but educational. Lastly, I'm reading The Harlot by the Side of the Road. Forbidden Tales of the Bible. Good book, but way, way too much about circumcision! And, thanks to a chat I just had with TBC, I now have a yearning to read Sense and Sensibility again. It's one of those books I can read over and over. And I haven't read it in a few months. So, I think I'll start it again.

Anyway, feel free to leave literary suggestions or perhaps let me know what you are reading, in the comments.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Once I finish Sense and Sensibility, I think I'm going to go for a dose of Dickens. Great Expectations is one of my all-time favorite books, and I haven't read it in a year or 2.

Then there are some books on Web design that I want to read, also a book on Mary Magdalene, and Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy..

Agatestone said...

TBC,

Great Expectations is wonderful. I love the book, love the movie, love everything about it. Would you like to borrow the book on tape version that I have? Hugh Laurie reads it. I've never heard of Philip Pullman. Please elaborate.

Also, I don't know that I want to read about Kabbalah, but I've been hearing about it lately and I'd love it if you explained it to me.