20 February, 2008

Full contact copy editing.

Dear reader,

You've realized by now that I am a tad clumsy some times. Or that I tend to do really stupid things. Well, the culmination of my gifts has paid off. I have finally received a copy editing injury.

Here's how it all went down. My coworker came into my office. She needed a word spelled. I have three dictionaries. I opened the one I though appropriate to spell her word. I thumbed rapidly through the dictionary until I came upon what I thought would be the correct page. I scanned the page eagerly, hopefully, and yes, I found her word. I was so excited, I felt so triumphant that I slammed my hand down on the dictionary page in jubilation. Bad move. I hurt my hand. Not seriously. No broken bones. But, man did I slam it down hard. The word? Oh, Honduras.

So, what did I learn about this turn of events?

1) I am a big geek
2) I am a big geek
3) I am a big geek

Next time I look up a word in the dictionary, I will act calmly, without expectation as to the outcome of my findings. I will search for correct spellings with a more yogic attitude. Either that or I’m going to have to find softer dictionaries!

No comments: