27 August, 2007

Mellow.

So, there I am, relaxing, listening to, well, relaxation music. Can't remember the name of the song but for this purpose, we'll call it Chakra Healing Chant Number 6. So, the song is going along quite well. I'm relaxing more and more. All of a sudden, I hear the croaking of frogs. Whoever arranged Chakra Healing Chant Number 6 for some reason thought that the croaking of frogs would be relaxing. Well, they were wrong. I don't find frogs relaxing and I certainly don't find the unmelodious croaking of frogs relaxing. Next time I feel the need to listen to relaxation music, I believe I will fast-forward over Chakra Healing Chant Number 6.

It's almost as bad Chakra Healing Chant Number 11, which, right when one is at one's most relaxed, one is jolted out of said relaxation by the loud peal of a gong.

Whoever is arranging the current choices of relaxation music needs to realize that the pealing of a gong is quite startling, especially to the person to who uses relaxation music to help them fall asleep.

I have nothing more to say on this subject. It's just an observation.

2 comments:

Willow said...

You know, this post reminded me of a friend who has a couple of "Tibetan Singing Bowls." Basically, you hold the bowl, and use this special stick to swirl around it, and the bowl starts to hum...loudly.

Many people amongst my spiritual group love this sound, and say that it is relaxing. I, however, equate it somewhat to the sound of fingernails on a blackboard.

BTW, I have two CDs that I really enjoy for relaxation, that don't have any irritating noises (at least to me):

Fairy NightSongs, by Singh Kaur and Gary Stadler. I just bought this one--it's basically strings with a lovely soprano singing.

Chakra Suite by Steven Halpern. No frogs, just stringed instruments.

Willow, also mellow

Agatestone said...

I also bought an alarm clock with "nature sounds" to calmly wake me up in the morning. The nature sounds were more like crows cawing on to advise the other crows that they had found a victim to prey on, or wildebeasts bleating to annoucing they were going to stampede. Not very relaxing at all.