25 December, 2006

I can't hear you, I have jello in my ear!

Although I do consider myself an adequate cook (I make a mean Chicken Parmesan and I am quite capable of making a variety of homemade soups), I seem to be having quite a few kitchen mishaps these days. Here is what happened yesterday:

So, I have never made Jello in my life. I am certainly not anti-Jello. I enjoy a good Jello every once in a while. It’s just not a food I’ve ever had a hankering to make. Kind of like carrots. I will eat them in they’re in front of me, but I don’t seek them out. Recently, our local grocery store had one of those 10 for 10 sales on Jello. I purchased 4 for myself and the rest for my mother, is is very pro-Jello. I purchased two lime Jellos and two Cherry Jellos. Yesterday, I decided to make a lime Jello mold for lunch at my sister’s today. So, I followed the directions, boiling, mixing, chilling the Jello. It was time to pour the Jello into the mold. The mold was recently used and washed by someone other than myself. So, I took the mold out of the cabinet, inspected it to see if it was clean and if the bottom was on (the mold’s top and bottom both snap on and off). After a visual inspection, I surmised that the mold was clean and the bottom was on. I began to pour the lime Jello into the mold. Lo and behold, I discovered that whomever had washed and put away the mold did not secure the bottom of the mold correctly. The lime Jello came gushing out of the bottom of the mold onto the countertop. As I jerked the mold sideways and flung it into the sink, the trajectory of the gushing lime Jello made it hit a dish in the sink and splash upwards. Sadly, the left side of my face was in the same trajectory as the lime Jello, uncharacteristically now aloft, and my face and ear collided with the flying Jello. Just in case you’re wondering, lime Jello stings slightly when it travels into the ear. So, I cleaned up the remains of my failed first experience making lime Jello. The clock was ticking. I had an engagement in just over an hour. My face was sticky with lime Jello. I had a choice to make. Clean myself up right away or make another Jello, as I wouldn’t have any other time to do it. I chose to quickly make the cherry Jello. The process went smoothly, even with half my face green with the remnants of the formerly flying lime Jello. I rushed to wash the lime Jello off of my person as the cherry Jello chilled. The cherry Jello gelled quickly and I successfully poured it into the mold, of course after securing the bottom of the mold securely. The the not-Lime-but-Cherry Jello mold was introduced to rave reviews at lunch today.

No comments: